The Highs and Lows of the NBA's Cincinnati Royals

October 30, 2018 3 Comments

Cincinnati Royals 1961-1962

Cincinnati’s time as an NBA city lasted 15 seasons beginning in 1957 when the Rochester Royals relocated to the Queen City. The team started as a semi-pro outfit in Rochester called the Seagrams in 1923. Changing their nickname to the Pros in 1943 (but still semi-pro), they joined the professional National Basketball League in 1945 and became the Royals. They jumped to the rival Basketball Association of America in 1948, a year before the two leagues merged to form the National Basketball Association.

As a pro outfit, the Royals were quite successful in Rochester, both on the court and at the box office. They won the 1951 championship, topping the New York Knickerbockers 4 games to 3. However, they soon became victims of their own success. While they sold out most of their home games in tiny Edgerton Park Arena, fans became irritated at the scarcity of tickets. By the time a new, larger arena was built, minor league hockey had arrived in the form of the still-popular Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League.

While it may seem odd that a minor league hockey club could outdraw a major league basketball team, remember that, at the time, the NBA was not the money-printing operation it is today and was still playing in other small cities like Ft. Wayne, Indiana, and neighboring Syracuse.

In April of 1957 the team’s owners, Les and Jack Harrison, decided to move the team. Encouraged by a well attended neutral-site game the Royals had played at the Cincinnati Gardens in February of that year against the Ft. Wayne Pistons, the brothers eyed the Queen City as their team’s new home. Two of the team’s stars had played college basketball in Cincinnati, David Piontek for Xavier and Jack Twyman for UC, and they helped convince the Harrisons that Cincinnati was the right destination. A few weeks earlier, the Pistons announced they were moving to Detroit.

The nickname Royals was even more fitting in the Queen City and the team moved into the Cincinnati Gardens. While the team ended a two-year playoff drought in their new home, fans were slow to warm to them. To make matters worse, in the last game of the season, star Maurice Stokes struck his head on the court while going for a rebound in Minneapolis against the Lakers. A few days later, flying back to Cincinnati after a playoff game in Detroit, Stokes fell ill, later slipping into a coma for several weeks. Though he regained consciousness, he was a quadriplegic and would remain hospitalized until his death in 1970. Teammate Jack Twyman became his legal guardian and helped raise money for his care.

The following season, the team posted just 19 wins after which the Harrisons sold the team to a local group headed by Thomas Woods. Another 19-win season followed, but in 1960, UC star Oscar Robertson arrived. Though he captured Rookie of the Year honors, the Royals missed the playoffs, though they did manage to notch 20 more wins than the previous season.

The 1961/62 seasons found the team finishing second in the Western Division and facing the Detroit Pistons in the first round of the playoffs. The Royals fell 3 games to 1, but at last, they were headed in the right direction.

Led by Robertson and another local hero, Jerry Lucas, the team made the playoffs for the next four seasons. They failed to win a championship though. In 1966, the team was purchased by Max and Jeremy Jacobs. The 1966/67 season would see the team’s last playoff run. During that season, the team returned to playing neutral site games. Cleveland, Dayton, and Columbus all hosted games. Other cities to host the team’s home games that year were New York City, Syracuse, Memphis, and Kansas City. Playing in the latter would prove to be an omen.

Jerry Lucas was traded to the San Francisco Warriors in 1969. In 1970, Oscar Robertson was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks who immediately won the title in only their third season in the league. Meanwhile, the Royals steady decline continued.

During the 1970/71 season, the team played 11 neutral site games, six of them in Omaha, Nebraska. Before the 1971/72 season, a group from Kansas City purchased the team. At the end of the season, the team was moved to that city. Already having baseball’s Royals in town, the basketball team, playing some of their home games in Omaha, became the Kansas City-Omaha Kings. After two years, they played exclusively in Kansas City and dropped Omaha from their official name.

Despite three straight playoff appearances beginning in 1978/79, the team drew poorly in Kansas City. In 1983, the team was purchased by a group from Sacramento and rumors of a move to the California capital swirled. After the team’s lease ran out in 1985, they indeed headed west.

In their first season in Sacramento they made the playoffs but exited in the first round after being swept by the Houston Rockets. That began a 10-year playoff drought. Over the years, more bad luck hit the team. Up-and-coming guard Bobby Hurley was severely injured in a car crash, while star rookie Rick Berry took his own life.

Things turned around in the late ‘90s and early 2000s as the Kings regularly made the playoffs, reaching the Western Conference Finals in 2002.

After the loss of several key players, the team’s play declined. Off the court, the team's owners, the Maloofs, were in financial trouble centered around their outside business interests. They threatened to move the team to Anaheim, Virginia Beach, or Seattle. The latter had lost the SuperSonics to Oklahoma City, where they became the Thunder, and the town was anxious to replace them.

The Maloof’s were all set to move the team to Anaheim, but their fellow NBA owners blocked the move. The team was eventually sold to local interests led by software entrepreneur Vivek Ranadive. The team’s performance on the court hasn’t improved much since then, but with a new arena and long-term lease in place, the Kings remain in Sacramento...for now.

3 Responses


January 29, 2023

With so much in my heart I am here to express myself on how Priest Salami saved my marriage from divorce. Myself and my husband were having some misunderstanding and it was tearing our marriage apart to the extent my husband was seeking a divorce. So I have no option other than to go to the internet to seek a solution to my problem. It was there I came across Priest Salami details and about how he has helped a lot of people by restoring their relationship. I contacted Priest Salami and in less than 48 hours my husband cancelled the divorce papers. Now myself and my husband live together in peace and harmony all thanks to Priest Salami for saving my marriage from breaking up. Priest Salami contact information are via email: Whatsapp number: +2348143757229


January 25, 2023

I have perused every one of your posts and all are exceptionally enlightening. Gratitude for sharing and keep it up like this.

온라인 카지노
호텔 카지노

Thomas Gibson
Thomas Gibson

December 15, 2022

I want to use this opportunity to tell the whole world on how I become rich and famous. I’m 93 years old. I was passing through difficulty in business and there was no hope of me coming out of my debt. I borrow money in my bank to do my business and I run at lost on the business I got frustrated and decided to be playing lottery to see if I can win and make my business grow and I have played for years now nothing good is coming my way on till I meet someone online talking about Dr Ayoola on the internet. He was taking about how this Dr Ayoola help him to win mega million lottery game. I said to myself if this is true and decide to contact him and told him to help me as well I later read more about this man and see how he has been helping people all over the world. I have faith in him and choose to work with him. After working with him he told me what I need to do for the number to be given to me which I did after he finish working he said I will have a dream and the number will be review to me in the dream. That night has I was sleeping I dream a number immediately he call me and gave me the same number I dream of and ask me to go and play the number. Today I’m here testifying of the good work he did for me I played the number and I won the sum of 1, 000,000 million dollars in a lotto max. You can contact Dr Ayoola for help if you want to win big in lottery game he has the gift of giving right number contact him today and thank me email him today Via email: drayoolasolutionhome@gmail. com or text or call +14809032128

Leave a comment

Also in Cincy Shirts News

My first memories as a Cincinnati Reds Fan
My first memories as a Cincinnati Reds Fan

March 19, 2024 649 Comments

As the 2024 season draws near, I find myself reflecting on the journey that led me to become a devoted Cincinnati Reds fan. For many of us, our passion for this team and the game itself runs deep in our blood, often cultivated by the experiences shared with family and friends. 

Learn More

Cincy Shirts Student Spiritwear Design Contest!
Cincy Shirts Student Spiritwear Design Contest!

February 16, 2024 787 Comments

Learn More

Banana Splits at Kings Island
Remember the Banana Splits Movie That Was Filmed at KI?

April 04, 2023 1538 Comments

Learn More